Clean Giant Tiny Forum Shrinkingman.com

our facebook group --(right click to open)

Follow us on twitter at ShrinkingMan3

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2014 7:00 pm  #1

Overused children+tinies plot?

Lately I've been noticing a large trend in GT stories, role plays, and art: Children and tinies. Not that it's a bad plot/inspiration/relationship, but it seems to be somewhat... Overused. Yeah, it's fun when it starts and makes for a decent story based on the idea. And when it did first become popular, people read the stories and role played the plots and drew the art. And it all felt like quality work from people. But over the past few years, it started to become the only thing a lot of people could come up with. I'm not saying there was a lack of intelligence or creativity, but more a lack of effort. They didn't have to come up with new ideas, so they didn't.  So we started using this plot and reusing it over and over again. But you see, it's like recycling the same plastic bottle into a new plastic bottle into a new plastic bottle, etc. It's good for the environment of GT after a couple times, but without effort or creativity, the stories/role plays can appear very lacking and stereotypical. I'm not saying that all child+tiny works are without effort and creativity. Quite the opposite actually. When stories (/role plays) like these have good characters and developments and twists, they're very enjoyable and fun to read. It's been done several times right here on this forum even. (My Pet Giant by triceraderp, The Dollhouse by Admin shrinkingman, etc.)  I mean no offense to anyone who writes/reads/roleplays/draws Child and Tiny plots or scenes. When they have effort and creativity, I enjoy them a lot myself. But without that, it's like a plastic water bottle. People use it once, then never pay it a second thought. The same for stories and roleplays. After the popularity dies down, there's nothing original to come back for or remember.

Your thoughts?

Pi  π
Octopi  ππππππππ

7/11/2014 9:14 pm  #2

Re: Overused children+tinies plot?

What specific plot patterns are you addressing? The only pattern I keep seeing that I have a problem with is stories with tinies and there are only normal-sized boy characters interacting with them, I like for normal-sized boy and normal-sized girl characters to interact with the tinies.

Shrunk around a brother and sister is my favorite genre, but it is so underused!

7/12/2014 12:28 pm  #3

I can tell ;P
Just, everyday children with tinies in general I suppose. Teasing, playing, keeping as a pet behaviors.

Pi  π
Octopi  ππππππππ

7/12/2014 9:25 pm  #4

In any story with size disparity as the main plot, there are going to be cliches and situations that get used over and over again, or if you come up with kind of an original concept, it is similar to something someone else has already written. If you read or write enough size fiction, you will inevitably run into that problem.

My solution is to involve other science fiction elements along with the size changing genre. You have two cheerleaders who can grow to giant size and fight evil? Then have a mad scientist who has a ray-gun that artificially induces tornadoes. You can have any sci-fi plot device or threat to society that the main characters must thwart that you want, just to move the story forward,

Shrunk around a brother and sister is my favorite genre, but it is so underused!

7/13/2014 4:23 am  #5

Good points. I get story ideas and wind up doing the cliches and wonder if I'm just doing the same-old, same-old at times, and wonder if I can think up something different for a change. It's tempting to fall into a cliched situation and characters.

11/28/2017 7:43 am  #6

Brosis wrote:

In any story with size disparity as the main plot, there are going to be cliches and situations that get used over and over again, or if you come up with kind of an original concept, it is similar to something someone else has already written. If you read or write enough size fiction, you will inevitably run into that problem.

My solution is to involve other science fiction elements along with the size changing genre. You have two cheerleaders who can grow to giant size and fight evil? Then have a mad scientist who has a ray-gun that artificially induces tornadoes. You can have any sci-fi plot device or threat to society that the main characters must thwart that you want, just to move the story forward,

I see people getting caught up in reusing the same details over and over.  I feel like you could gloss over the whole "I have to shop in the boys section," or "my voice was so soft and high pitched they could barely hear me."  There are certain things that have become standard and are no so accepted, you could get away with not bringing them up, or at the least giving it a passing mention before moving on to the meat of a story.

This question of originality in a broader sense?  Problem is most people don't want originality - they want the same thing they've seen over and over before.  Not just with this material, but with any genre.  With the billionaire and shifter romances, readers expect the central characters to have the same traits from one book to another.  Fans of zombies and vampires expect the creatures to have the same basket of traits, and major deviations for the sake of originality are poorly received.

I think what addresses the original question is a story that gives a nod to the "expected," but focuses on the "what then?"  - working the shrinking premise into a different set of "issues," or exploring different environments other than the old stand-bys.

Board footera