Clean Giant Tiny Forum Shrinkingman.com

our facebook group --(right click to open)

older stories (but not from past few yrs)......
pictures

Follow us on twitter at ShrinkingMan3

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2013 11:51 pm  #11

Re: Micro People (was "Mark Dilke")

Maybe; I have a tough time writing mean characters but there have been some. Some tidbits:

--for some reason kids and teens have an easier time seeing the tiny folks. They just seem to sense them easier

--the micro people actually are in fairly good health and don't get diseases like most people do

--the micro people usually haven't felt the need to make themselves known to the "giants" unlike
Mark Dilke's parents have but recently have been "discovered" by kids and teens. It's tough for them to communicate to the "giants" though they can try to use a smartphone's screen/keyboard, and there can be an "Aid" like in the orig Lindsay Gutteridge novels.

12/22/2013 8:05 am  #12

Hmmm, suppose the micro people did make themselves known to other adult giants? Would the giants help them, still try to kill them even if they know they're tiny humans? The mind ponders doesn't it?

12/23/2013 1:50 pm  #13

Admin shrinkingman wrote:

Maybe; I have a tough time writing mean characters but there have been some. Some tidbits:

--for some reason kids and teens have an easier time seeing the tiny folks. They just seem to sense them easier

--the micro people actually are in fairly good health and don't get diseases like most people do

--the micro people usually haven't felt the need to make themselves known to the "giants" unlike
Mark Dilke's parents have but recently have been "discovered" by kids and teens. It's tough for them to communicate to the "giants" though they can try to use a smartphone's screen/keyboard, and there can be an "Aid" like in the orig Lindsay Gutteridge novels.

Yeah, these ideas sounds good. i hope you'll continue the story

2/03/2014 11:46 pm  #14

Matthew Dilke stood on the hardwood floor and looked up and around at the colossus. On either side of him were sneakered feet, each seeming 300 feet long. Above the top of the sneakers, the giant wore thick white socks. A mass of blue jeans extended up to the knees, and above that (the giant was sitting on a sofa) was a massive torso and a face. The giant spoke, "Let's test this." He adjusted an ear bud in his right ear and turned on a small device that was in his shirt pocket.

Down below, Matthew heard "Let's test this" on the tiny device in one of his own ears, and it sounded with a normal pitch, not the deep bass he was used to hear from giants. Matthew had a microphone in front of him (worn around his head, like a phone operator's headset) and spoke. "All right. How do I sound, Larry?"

"Just perfect. So we won't need the Aid for communication, now it's portable."

"Provided you're nearby. What's the range?"

"10 feet, I think. That would seem like over a half mile to you."

Larry Perry was the friend-of-a-former agent that Matthew and Linda Dilke lived with. He was in his early 50s, with a thick salt-and-pepper beard that would seem like a forest to the two micros. He wore tri-focals and was chubby. For some reason it was tougher for adults to see the micro people but despite being nearsighted (though with corrective lenses), Larry also tended to spot the micros well.

Matthew had ridden in a flash drive container in Larry's pocket. He could fit easily into the spot next to a credit card in the man's wallet. 

"Wish I knew where Mark was. I know he likes being on his own," Matthew said, "but I still worry."

Larry sighed. "You guys are too small for your own good. So many dangers. Are you sure they haven't been able to grow you at least a little bigger?"

The shrinking process of the original micros took awhile but it had been tough to develop a method to grow them back--or to grow their children to even a slightly bigger size.

"Working on it, they say," said Matthew. "Some of us are content at this size--Mark is, but yes it can be quite dangerous. Though some think we could shrink people to our size, people who WANT to be micros. That was the case with some of us. We didn't mind and thought it would be fun, maybe."

Absent mindedly, Larry crossed his right leg on top of his left knee Down below, Matthew could see the massive leg move--thankfully it didn't come close to him...

"Hey! Be careful pal, I'm down here..."

"Ooops! Sorry, I..." Larry carefully put his right leg down, but further away from where Matthew was standing. 

Put in linear terms most people could understand, to Matthew,the sneakered foot was an object 100 feet wide by almost 300 feet long which suddenly rose some 500 feet into the air. He had been standing some four inches, or 100 feet, to the left of the foot at the time but it was still a bit scary. To Matthew a forecast of "6 to 10 inches of snow" would mean 150 to 250 FEET of snow...

----
Some distance away, George Grant was finding out the hard way that not every giant was so kind.

Jimmy was an 11 year old boy who spotted the middle aged micro on top of a nightstand. He decided to have a little fun with the tiny man.

He put him in a bottle cap and put Scotch tape over it, though he poked an air hole into the tape so the tiny man could breathe. The boy took an ice cube tray and filled it with water. He then took the tape off the bottle cap and dumped George into one of the ice compartments--then he shoved it into his freezer.

The water seemed 25 feet deep to George; he swam around at the top of the compartment and looked around at the massive forms that were also in the freezer--ice cream, vegetables, and so on. He'd have to somehow escape from the ice cube tray, fall down to the icy bottom of the freezer compartment, and then get out of that. It was freezing.

This was one of those old refrigerators that didn't have an ice maker. He had no way of escaping that way.George paddled over to the edge of the compartment. He reached up with his miniscule hand but had a tough time reaching the top so he could jump over. Just then he saw the freezer door open and the mischievous boy grabbed the ice cube tray. The force of it sent George down underwater, He bobbed up to the top. Then he noticed a teaspoon under him and he was soon on that, and then the boy put it over on a counter top where he fell down in a heap.

to be continued

Last edited by Admin shrinkingman (2/05/2014 7:34 am)

2/06/2014 8:34 am  #15

George lay there on the counter, face down, looking almost like a squashed bug (one wearing a shirt and sweat pants, though). He pondered for a moment "playing dead" but figured the boy would just throw him away. George rolled over and looked up at the colossal pre-teen.

It was power, that's all it came to. Everyone else had it and he didn't. An 11 year old boy sees a very tiny man and decides to have a little "fun", not thinking that, well, "a person's a person no matter how small" as "Horton Hears a Who" put it. Small wonder that micros often tended to avoid the "giants" though in recent times, some had befriended them, after they were spotted.

Back at the Pratt house, Terry got on his computer and got a kick out of some photoshopped pictures of tiny people or giants. He read a short story about a world called Wodlen, populated by 70 foot tall foxes, raccoons, and wolves; an Earth human teenager wound up there and even went to high school with these giants. A fox, raccoon, and wolf took the human back to the wolf's house and for fun, the fox placed him in a freezer. The raccoon saw it was wrong, opened up the freezer, and took out the shivering human. Oddly enough a similar scene had taken place for real at Jimmy Norton's house--the 11 year old boy who'd put George Grant in the fridge, however briefly. Terry didn't know that, however.
(Needless to say if the characters in the short story were real, the micros on Earth would have really been tiny on Wodlen...one quarter of an inch tall, versus 70 feet tall or so!)

Terry also got on some messageboards about "giant and tiny" and saw a strange post by some 13 year old (who, as it turned out, lived nearby) where he said he'd found some people only a quarter of an inch tall. "I know it sounds crazy", the teen had written, "but I have 5 of them--a girl and a family of four." He wrote about discovering them. Terry used a private message to contact him and told about Mark Dilke.

The teen, Tim Gold, lived with his sister Brenda about half a mile from where Terry lived. Four miles away, Larry Perry lived with Mark's parents, Matthew and Linda. (The other boy, 11 year old Jimmy Norton, lived several hundred miles away, near Pittsburgh.) Even though micros were scattered far and wide, it was odd that 8 of them lived in fairly close proximity (Mark, Liz, Jack, Wendy, Colleen, Brad, Matthew, and Linda). Tim and Terry even went to the same middle school and the Pratt house was on Tim's paper route.

"It would make the most sense to have you come over here," Tim wrote Terry, "since I have the most of them."

Board footera